Friday, February 12, 2010

NCOTC: NPR and Christiane Amanpour

Morning Routine: I don’t sleep well, but I finally get out of bed at 7 a.m. In one hour I get my son and myself up and ready. I listen to NPR, and I keep turning it on and off, depending on what is appropriate for my son. I walk out the door at 8 a.m.

-from today's NYT interview with Christiane Amanpour

Maybe I'm not clear on the concept here or maybe Christiane isn't clear on NPR. My first thought was, she's 53, her son can't be that young; he can't possibly be a kindergartner. After a second of research, I found that he's about nine years old. What in the world is on NPR that is inappropriate for a nine year old? Is she scared of the liberal media warping his young mind? Did Morning Edition do a segment on furries? Sexting? Whatever filth Renee Montaigne's spewing on the radio, where I come from, there's not much you don't know about at that age. Sure, you may not know how to manage that knowledge, but it's there.

Then I finished the article (I have a tendency to react before actually gathering all information - this is what stupid people do, forgive me). Amanpour mentions that she doesn't let her son watch television news. It's kinda crazy that a woman who bases her professional life on informing the world about current affairs wouldn't let her young son have access to the same information. Either way, the boiserie in her apartment is divine and at least she's listening to NPR, however saucy the station is.

No comments:

Post a Comment